Print Friendly Version

New Zealand
United Kingdom



London, United KingdomMon Dec 11 04:49am
Tourism to Australia

Visitor Visas, Sponsored Family Visitor Visas, Electronic Travel Authorities

Australia has visas specifically for people who wish to visit Australia for tourism, to visit friends or relatives or for short-term study (see Overseas Student Program).

The options include:

  • Short Stay Visitor Visa (3 months or less stay in Australia);
  • Long Stay Visitor Visa (for stays between 3-6 months);
  • Sponsored Visitor Visa
There are different ways to apply for these visas, depending upon which country of origin you are from. For example an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visa is an electronic record available to applicant's from certain countries and is an electronic record rather than a stamp in your passport. For a list of countries currently able to apply for ETA visas click here http://www.dimia.gov.au/eta/countries.htm . Applicant's not eligible for an ETA as outlined on the countries list may be eligible for Visitor Visas whether sponsored or independent.

Who may apply for Visitor Visas to Australia?

You must:

  • intend to travel to, and remain in, Australia as a genuine visitor (not for work, business, study or medical treatment purposes);
  • have access to adequate funds to support yourself during your visit;
  • be of good character and health;
  • have private health insurance (or equivalent) and a 'fitness to travel' certificate from a doctor if you are over 70 years of age;
  • have no debts to the Commonwealth;
  • do not intend to work in Australia; and
  • leave Australia when (or before) your visa expires.

Sponsored Visitor Visas

If you wish to visit friends and family in Australia but you are having difficulty obtaining a visa because of your circumstances, a close family member in Australia may be able to sponsor you for a Sponsored Family Visitor visa.

This visa allows:

  • travel and entry to Australia on one occasion only;
  • travel to be within 3 months from when the visa is granted;
  • permission to remain in Australia for a period of not more than 3 months; and
  • you are not able to extend your stay in Australia.
It is similar to the Visitor visa (short stay) but includes:

  • mandatory sponsorship;
  • discretionary security bond; and
  • penalties that will apply to the sponsor if the visitor breaches visa terms and conditions.
For further information regarding visiting Australia contact a Migration Matters consultant today info@migrationmatters.com.au .

Working Holiday Makers

The Working Holiday Program is aimed at applicants between the ages of 18 and 30 from some countries (see below list) to holiday in Australia and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.

Working Holiday visa holders must hold a passport of a country which has reciprocal arrangements with Australia.

Currently these countries are:

The United Kingdom;
The Netherlands;
The Republic of Ireland;
The Republic of Korea;
The Hong Kong SAR of the People's Republic of China;
Finland; and
The Republic of Cyprus.

Australia is currently negotiating working holiday maker arrangements with additional countries - keep checking Migration Matters for updates or contact a consultant today info@migrationmatters.com .

Visa holders are able to stay in Australia for up to 12 months from the date of first entry to Australia, regardless of whether or not the visa holder spends the whole time in Australia. Visa holders are able to do any kind of work that is of a temporary or casual nature, but regulations require that the visa holder "must not" work for more than three months with any one employer.

All Australian Working Holiday visa applications must be made overseas.

Applicants need to be:
  • passport holders from one of the countries listed above;
  • aged between 18 and 30, and
  • without dependent children.
A Visa holders main reason for coming to Australia should be to holiday. Any work they participate in should be to support themselves while they holiday in Australia. Visa holders are allowed to study or train for up to 3 months whilst in Australia. Visa holders must also have a return ticket or sufficient funds for a return or onward fare to another country as well as sufficient funds for the initial part of their stay in Australia.

Trusted Companiesfees & Services

Migration Newsletters
Latest Newsletters
Migration News - 07/2011
Migration News - 09/2007
Newsletter Archive

Migration Headlines
New Victorian State Migration Plan released

On 21 September 2011, the new Victorian State Migration Plan (SMP) was released.

Read the full article
PRESS: Owen Harris explains "How to employ tradespeople from overseas".

Owen Harris has recently had an article published in the Australasian Paint and Panel magazine on "How to employ tradespeople from overseas".

Read the full article
New Skilled Occupation List 1 July 2011 - Occupations removed and added

DIAC has released a new Skilled Occupation List (schedule 3), Annual Update of Skilled Occupation List - 1 July 2011

Read the full article
News Archive

  The information on these pages is as up to date as possible, however, it is best to consult a Migration Matters advisor as they will be aware of any changes made to the immigration laws. Migration Agent Registration Numbers 0324641 0427632 0851294
Fully Licensed New Zealand Immigration Adviser - IAA Number 201000736

[ Privacy Statement ] [ Migration Agents Code of Conduct ]

In Australia - Migration Matters (AUST) Pty Ltd. ABN 52124512367
In the UK - Migration Matters (UK) Ltd. Registered in England No:4675885
US, Canada & UK works are undertaken by Optimus Law Group

© 2003-2017 Site Designed by Finesse Internet Ltd.
Maintained by NetInvent Australia  
Australia Migration Matters Canada Migration Matters New Zealand Migration Matters United Kingfom Migration Matters United States of America Migration Matters