A number of temporary entry policy changes have been implemented by Immigration New Zealand.
* Bulgaria and Romania will be added to the list of countries whose nationals are able to enter New Zealand as visitors, visa free for up to three months.
* Students who are studying part time and are completing a course of study that was undertaken in New Zealand, and is of two years duration, or qualifies for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, will be eligible for a student visa or permit.
* English language students who want a variation of conditions (VOC) to their student visa or permit to work part time will be able to meet the English language requirements for a VOC after the initial date of application for a student visa or permit.
* Tertiary exchange students who are undertaking a full-time course of study of at least one academic year’s duration will be able to get a VOC to their student visa or permit to allow them to work part-time.
* Student policy has also been amended to clarify that partners of students studying towards a qualification on the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) are not eligible for open work visas and/or permits; their partner must be studying for a qualification which is specified on the LTSSL.
* The salary threshold for applications under Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Policy will increase from $45,000 to $50,000.